Our family just started multilingual journey, however, we are constantly thinking how to incorporate languages into our family routine, make it a pleasant time for everyone so speaking another language is enjoyable and natural.
Here are our top 5 family traditions for multilingual families:
1. make a quote book of your kids while they learn languages. Children always invent their own language, mix languages in the own fun and unusual way, invent their own words,etc. My mother used to recall many of my languages expressions even when I was already an adult and we laughed. Or maybe your kids will write stories/poems in different languages that would be also great to save.
Or perhaps while watching cartoons/movies you will find some fun language to save and make jokes. For Soviet kids many cartoon quotes drifted into conversation, our family liked using many:
or if your children are over 10 you can make idioms book in your language. There are many ways:
– if you have pets or choose a particular object and find all language expressions with them and make drawings, pictures to explain these idioms
“Somos cuatro gatos” (Literal translation: We are four cats.What it actually means: It’s a small group of people)
(photo credit:alibis.com; learneglishfreeonline.com)
2. make quality get together time to discuss in your language best of the day/week/month over tea/kefir/wine, etc
3. choose books/songs for each other to read in your language. we like to read and sing karaoke
4. make personalized ABC book of your daily life/trips
(photo credit: happybook.su)
our daughter`s first book is in three languages:
5. make a year in review (or holiday journal review) using your language:
(make notes during family time or mark in your calendars the most important events)